HOCACHICK is the project component of the integrated program for good governance and sustainable livelihoods. The project came in place in the effort to revive the former hatchery at Hoima diocese.
HOCADEO has been promoting poultry among farmers for over 10 years but this has been mainly subsistence. Therefore HOCACHICK is geared towards enabling beneficiaries do poultry farming as a business.
- Hatching and selling of day old chicks. These mainly Kuroiler and Broiler chicks.
- Raising and selling of one month old chicks for those who cannot afford day old chicks.
- Hatching services for farmers with fertilized eggs at a subsidized fee. The eggs must not be more than 10 days old.(after being laid).
- Technical guidance on poultry farming.
- 6000 kuroiler , 3450 broiler and 300 layer chicks(day Old) have been produced through the center since January 2016.
- The centre produces about 450 chicks (kuroilers) per week.
- Bookings of chicks are often done a week or two weeks before an individual accesses the chicks.
Prices of differents services
|Kuroiler (1 day old)||1||2300|
|Broiler(1 day Old)||1||1800|
|Kuroiler (one month old)||1||9000|
|Broiler (6 weeks ready for consumption)||1||10000|
|Hatching costs per egg||1||650|
Possibilities of partnerships
- 50 free day old chicks can be given to any clergy or religious that is interested in poultry farming. Beyond 50 you will requested to buy.
- Farmer groups in different parishes can also access chicks from the center at a subsidized cost for group projects.
- Free technical guidance on poultry raring enterprise will be given upon request through HOCADEO vet staff.
- Establishment of a 50hp feed mill before the end of December 2016.
- Development of the cold chain.
- Acquiring a parent stalk of broiler chicken.